Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mystery Quilt #7


Here is Evelyn's Mystery quilt and she asked for custom quilting.  I really like how I custom quilted Rae Mystery which also had the black sashing but I wanted to make sure they looked different.


I thought maybe I could be a bit bolder with my thread choices as the colours were so bright and bold in this quilt. I usually play it safe with my thread choices and let them blend in. But when I discovered I had the perfect Rainbow coloured thread I just had to use it.   I also had the right turquoise and purple threads for the stars.


I also decided to be bolder with the back as I usually like to match my bobbin thread to the backing fabric but not this time. I used the purple thread that I used for the star on top for the bobbin thread!  The quilting design on the back makes the stars look like flowers, I love that.


I didn't want to densely fill this quilt, it was going to be used so I still wanted it to have a soft feel so I left some areas open. I quilted my molar feathers in the outside border and in the stars.  I did loops around the sashing of the squares and I echoed two lines in the printed border and pulled them into the triangles for a different effect on the back.


I tried Quilters Dream Black Poly batting for the first time on this quilt and I just loved quilting with this batting, it is so soft.  I ordered 4 packages so have three left and if any of my local quilters are interesting in purchasing some please let me know. It would be great for hand quilting too.

I only have one quilt left to do this month and then I am taking the summer off so I won't be posting as frequently as I usually do.  I have a few of my own flimsy's ready to quilt and a few quilts ready to start piecing so I'll be posting those when they are done. I have my Mystery quilt to quilt but I think I'll wait until August to tackle that one :)

8 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! I love everything...from your variegated thread to the quilting designs!! Thread looks so striking on the black. Leaves are perfect!!!!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's awesome!! Love how you quilted it and what you did in the star is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished quilt is fantastic! Evelyn is going to love it! E

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a totally awesome job quilting! I like the flow of the quilt design and the thread colors you used. Have a great summer! G

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright colors , the quilting designs are awesome! The quilting on the stars and the border makes it look almost like a 3D image. I love the backing. You always do a great job. C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very nice. I love the thread choices, and the back is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The back looks magic. I like the loopy quilting in the sashing and especially the effect it has on the back. I also like the CC around the star which softens it into almost a flower on the back. And the thread looks great. Well done - a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilting, I don't think there is anything you do that I don't love!!!! Anyway enjoy your time off this summer and I look forward to what you do on your time off!!!!
    Karen H

    ReplyDelete