I spent the whole week quilting my Mystery quilt and the hardest part was deciding what to do. At first I wasn't sure who I was going to give this quilt too but once I decided the design ideas started to flow. I find it so much easier to plan the quilting designs when I know who is getting the quilt, I like to personalize my quilting and make it suit the recipient.
As you can see there is lots of CC's (continuous curves) in the background. I just marked a grid using my Bohin chalk pencil and my Gadget Girls ruler and used that as my guide.
The chalk just rubs off with a piece of fabric.
I used black Bottom Line in the bobbin for the whole quilt as I wanted the back to have a whole-cloth look. So when I was quilting the stars with yellow thread I decided to just quilt straight lines so I had better control of the tension on the back. That worked well and any spots of yellow on the backing, like at the stops and starts, I just got out a Sharpie marker and colored them black. I would never do this on a clients quilt, but since this is mine why not! I think of it as quilt 'make-up'!!
I quilted the outside border with the "Echo Curves" design using a boomerang ruler.
I used black batting so no bearding on the back.
I only had one little panic moment with this quilt and that was went I realized I was running out of black So Fine thread for the top and didn't have a second cone!!! A quick call to my dealer... my thread dealer and she got it into the mail for me right away :)
We have had more snow fall this week so I have been getting my exercise shoveling the rink.
I still have the binding to sew on but hope to get that done this weekend and then can bring it to our guild meeting on Tuesday for Show and Tell.
I think my son will get a lot of use out of this quilt one day.
That's why there are no feathers on it :)