Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Felt Houses

helen13

This House quilt is the second quilt I have done for Helen this month.  I had never quilted a wool felt appliquéd quilt top before and it was a lot of fun.    I used 3 different background fills and SID around the appliqué pieces plus around the doors, windows and roof line.

helen8

The batting is Quilters Dream Blend, black So Fine thread and a beige InvisaFil on the wool appliqué.  With the InvisaFil being a 100wt thread it just blends right into all the colors of the wool appliqué  so I didn’t have to change thread colors. This was the first time I used InvisaFil and I’m quite pleased with how it stitched.

helen12

The backing was an orange Minkie with a stripe design running throughout.

helen11

Thank you for all your wonderful comment on my Giveaway post, I feel like I’ve made a great connection with my readers!  It is also very nice to hear from readers that have never commented before.  Thanks for sharing your stories about your coldest days, I enjoyed reading every one!   We are still in a deep freeze here but I’m still braving the cold to get some pictures of my clients quilt out on the ice just for you guys!  :)

11 comments:

  1. love these felt homes...too cute! I see you used a striped minky on the back?? if so, was it hard to keep the lines in the stripes vertical? Minky can be stretchy that is why i ask. :) ~karen

    ReplyDelete

  2. Those houses are adorable! A nice change from the pieced house blocks:) I like the windy swirls in the black background too. Deep freeze huh? We have had so much rain this week, there would be a blizzard if it was cold enough:) Think I would rather have snow. Rain and 41 degrees is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute, cute. The quilting gives the houses personality. I will have to check out the InvisiFil thread, it is always good to hear a positive recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt! I haven't kept up with blogging but always find time to look quickly for pretty quilt pictures. I guess I am missing a particularly ugly winter in Alaska. Not much snow but lots of cold with occasional warming periods that bring rain and then re-freezing. Lots of ice...that's what I'm missing. Paris has been cloudy and a bit damp but I will take that over my usual winter weather. We did get snow in Paris two days ago...didn't stick. Now it is just below freezing temps but clear...my favorite kind of winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a terrific quilt I didn't know minkie came in colors like that-very cool.
    I was thinking of you the other day when I was able to go out on the deck and take a picture since we had an unusual 60+ degree day. Of course, if I had your beautiful lake outside my door I might try it, but probably not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute, I love the look of the quilt, especially the minky on the back. A very happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I love the look of the felt for this quilt. Fun minky, too - almost corduroy-looking

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt. Nice, the black background. Beautiful quilting, the back looks also great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Great job, Kathy. I love house quilts, I've got one in mind to try myself when time permits. That minky looks very comfy! Sure will be a warm quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another gorgeous quilt! It looks so lovely with that backing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me encanta todo. El quilt es precioso, la elección de las telas y sobre todo el acolchado que es una maravilla. Sigo este blog desde hace tiempo porque aprendo muchisimo con usted. Gracias por enseñar tanta maravilla. Saludos desde Las Palmas de Grn Canaria. Adela.

    ReplyDelete