Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hourglass Quilt


This is Lynn's Hourglass quilt, it is a Random Threadz design.  She was working on this quilt at our last guild retreat and I was so happy to hear that she was planning on bringing  her quilt to me to quilt...you know I love batiks and curved piecing on quilts.


Lynn brought the pattern show how she wanted it quilted.... all feathers.  So I did a bit of searching on the internet and found out Legacy Quilting  had digitized patterns for this particular quilt design.  Well I don't have a computer on my longarm so I just used these designs as my inspiration! They are all free hand, I just marking in the spines with chalk to keep the spacing even.  I really like how this feather design fills in the hourglass spaces.  I also really liked their feather design for the circles, it is a nice change from a wreath style feather.


I piano keyed the outer burgundy border for contrast.  Funny the last two quilts I have done, both for Lynn, I piano keyed the outer border. I had never done piano keys on a quilt before these two.  Guess I was just waiting for the right quilts to come along.


I was able to clean a tiny space on the lake to take this picture, -34 this morning!


Here are the designs that I based my feathers on.

21 comments:

  1. What an amazing quilt - and you worked magic on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful quilt & your quilting is stunning!!
    HAPpy New Year, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful quilt! love the colors! the quilting is gorgeous too
    That is way to cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youzzeerrs!! That's amazing Kathy, your feathers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! Stunning!! Breathtaking! How long did it take??

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!!!!! Kathy, the quilt is just amazing, thanks for sharing all of the pic's, this is going into my fav's!!!!!!!
    Karen H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fabulous shapes for feathers...you did a fantastic job, I love it!

    Best Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Awesome!! I love it... I will definately use this as inspiration. Thanks for sharing
    Leanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an awesome quilt design! Beautifully pieced and quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful texture the feathers give to this quilt.
    Ginager

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work by both of you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Love your feathers, and the design and colours Lynn chose are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You both did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Les couleurs sont superbes et je suis toujours en admiration devant vos photos sur le lac ,je ne me lasse de les regarder.
    le quilting est toujours en harmonie avec le motif.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt and you quilted it beautifully
    Lynn B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful feathers! Love them! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colors, fabric choices ,pattern--all gorgeous! My fav of all quilts I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came upon this quilt on Pintrest and thought...this looks very familiar. So I clicked on the photo and came across your blog. I quilted the orginal quilt for Sheryl Mycroft of "Random Threadz." I'm happy you liked how I designed the feathers to fit. I also do not own a computerized machine so all of my quilting & designs are freehand. Like you I just chalk in the vine and just start feathering. This is the first time I've come across this quilt made by someone else. Beautiful job...both of you!
    Vicki Ibison

    ReplyDelete