Thursday, September 1, 2016

Northern Lights September 1, 2016

lights2

It has been awhile since I have shared some Northern Lights with you and last night was a specular night for viewing them.  My oldest son woke me up at 1am to let me know they were active, he knows its okay to wake me for that!   I run out with my camera in my pajamas, it was 15’c and very windy out but no bugs so a good night to be out.  There are a few light clouds but the lights were so bright and active that didn’t matter.

lights3lights5lights6

They ran across the sky from east to west right over my house.  Then for about one minute they went crazy and stared to ray out from right above me and it felt like they were falling around me!  Here is a shot looking straight up!  This picture doesn’t do the moment justice and this happening right across the sky.  This convinced me I need to invest in a wide angle lens!

lights7

With it being so windy anytime I had birch trees in the shot they look blurry so I tried to avoid them, except for this picture!

lights8

I then turned the camera toward the house so I am facing west. I like this shot with the house lights on, you can see my son in the window but I knew I would get better pictures with the lights off so he did that for me.

lights9lights10lights12lights13

Then they started to ray again and looks like they are falling from the sky!

lights14

I pointed my camera straight up again!  Love this shot!

lights15

I then walked to the back of the house to get a picture of the lights over my Shack and got the Big Dipper in there too!

lights16

Then back to the lake, looking east to take on final shot of the lights over the lake.

lights17

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

33 comments:

  1. that's amazing! What a gift, for you to share that with us - thank you! I live way too far south to ever hope of seeing these in person (barring a trip, which I do hope to take one day...). I love the shots over your house; the brightness of the photo, the shadows, etc, really shows just how BRIGHT those lights must be to cast such ambient light, nearly as bright as sunrise or dawn/dusk hours. Truly stunning! You photograph them well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bucket list!! Thanks for sharing your world with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. Awe inspiring and sp beautiful. I really hope to come north and see this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magical scenery! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back when I lived in MB many a night I'd look out my north bedroom window just in case I'd see the Northern Lights. I've seen them at least one time here in KS in the past 22 years....that is not often enough for me....Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great photos, such a great subject. The picture with the Big Dipper reminded me of when I was a kid. We lived in an area without many street lights and I delivered papers in the early, early morning so I got to enjoy the dark night sky to myself many mornings! Thanks for the images and the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have had a great show. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these shots are amazing, thanks for showing us the lights Kathy. Thanks also to your son for waking you up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Showed them to my husband - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great show and great photos! Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the photos of the Northern lights, makes me want to see them in person. The photos remind me also of your ice dyed fabrics.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! The photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! Thank you for sharing these! I'd like to see them one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spectacular, Kathy, what an amazing show! Nice shot of the Pleiades at the end too. A fast, wide angle lens would be worth it, I think. I wonder if this was going on at the same time as the eclipse in Africa? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply amazing! Your polar bear vacation pictures were amazing, too! They don't look real! Manitoba is now on my bucket list! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss Manitoba so much when you post these. I'm jealous my Mom is coming to visit you this month! If I had known sooner I could have sent one of my quilts with her for you to work on. Love all of your outdoor pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Living art! Beautiful & thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing - this must be a truly magical sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow....thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all your photography. This post's shot that evokes most memories is the one with the Big Dipper. I remember learning to look for it as a young child. That and the Northern Lights together is just super special.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are FANTASTIC! Love the northern lights!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing! Absolutely Amazing! On my bucket list. Hope I get to see them in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing the picture of the Northern Lights! I wish we would be able to see them. since I have been here they showed one time over Seattle, and I didn't know, so I missed them. I really appreciate seeing your light show.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Breathtaking! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved the post - your pictures are fabulous. We used to live in Winnipeg, and I well remember the excitement of watching these magical skies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Зрелище фантастическое! Я его могу видеть только на Ваших фотографиях. Вам очень повезло увидеть это воочию. Спасибо за показ фотографий, супер снимки!!!

    ReplyDelete