Sunday, February 19, 2012

Northern Lights at their BEST!


Last night we saw the best Northern Lights we have seen since moving up north 16 years ago. It was incredible to watch.  My son even said it was better than watching TV!  :)    So we got out the camera, tripod and ran down to the lake. My husband took these pictures with his camera as he knew how to keep the aperture open longer on his camera.  I just stood back and watched the night sky in awe.

These next 4 picture were all taken in a one minute time period so you get the idea of just how fast they were moving and changing. Note the red edge to some of the lights, I had never seen that before, they are usually just green.  These photos are looking west over our house, you can also see the constellation Cassiopeia in the top right corner.





This one was taken just to the right of our house.


These next two were taken looking straight up!  They pretty much ran right across the sky from east to west.



This one is was taken looking south toward the constellation Orion which we only see in winter.


And this last one towards the east which is a perfect shot of the constellation Leo. 



19 comments:

  1. Amazing!! Wow those are some of the coolest pics I've ever seen! So cool that you saw them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, those are amazing! You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures gave me the chills! That's amazing! I've seen them once in my life time, in Southern Utah one year! Thanks for sharing...you should submit those pictures to somewhere? They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to show my husband, he loves stuff like this!! The pictures are amazing,and thank you so much sharing!
    Karen H

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing photography. How incredible to see the Northern Lights like this. I'm in awe of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Wow!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am supremely jealous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic - thank you for sharing these - I would love to see the northern lights, but we live (I thought) too far south in northern England - then a couple of weeks ago, they were visible just ten minutes from where we live and I missed them! I don't think they would have been as spectaular as these though. One day.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I keep missing them this year...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning photos of the Northern Lights... and you are right as I don't think I have ever seen them as brilliant and spectacular as these shots taken by your husband. You could market thsee photos!!! G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing photos! We could see these Aurora lights (Northern lights we call them) here in Norway a couple of weeks ago. It was just stunning, and I can relate to what your son said, it's better than watching TV :o)
    I didn't get to shoot any pics, but I know how to do it now so I will try to capture the lights the next time they appear on the sky :-)
    Wish you a great and creative new week :-)
    Laila

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Cool! We don't get this type of thing in Los Angeles of course, but we do see stars "flare out" all the time. Not as cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are incredible photos. Haven't seen northern lights since I was a kid, and would love to see them again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pictures are incredible...thanks for sharing them. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are very impressive pictures and something I have never had the pleasure of seeing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should enter them in a photo contest, gorgeous! I know from experience, Northern Lights are very hard to photograph. I keep missing them this year. Your hubby gets an A+. C

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those shots are amazing, how I would love to see this for real. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing these pictures! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Kathy, how did I miss these fabulous shots, you guys are great photograpers!

    I think my blogger is playing up, I'm not seeing your posts in my list only in google reader...have to investigate!

    I'm off to see what else I've been missing???

    Best wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete