Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Critters Quilt



This is Rhonda's The Critter Quilt and the pattern is by Brandywine Design.   Rhonda claims she is a beginner quilter but I wouldn't have know that by the wonderful work she did on this quilt.   All the animals are fused appliqued and then the edges satin stitched. She made this quilt for her second grandson.  He has been watching this quilt come together for 3 years and was starting to worry his new baby sister might get it.   I'm sure he will be thrilled to finally have it to cuddle under!


Rhonda just wanted a simple panto design and suggested Raindrops or Ebb and Flow.  I picked Raindrops as it really suited the quilt and the outer border fabric has concentric circles that look like water drops on the surface of a lake.  The batting is Quilters Dream Puff and the thread is light blue So Fine.






 I noticed a 'critter' trail in my yard to had to take a picture by that!



6 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt. I can imagine that the boy is eager to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a treasure, and no matter how long in the making, longer still for cuddles and enjoyment. What wonderful appliques, every one delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kathy, such a treasure of a quilt and lovely to share.
    Can I please ask you about an aspect of the microwave bowls? I made some and enthusiastically took them along to my quilt club to share the idea. I was quickly shot down by one of our members who told me that the ones she had made had twice gone on fire in the microwave, despite using the correct fabric/batting and thread. Can you comment on this please and have you heard this before? I'm so disappointed at the risk.
    Jo in Liverpool, England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used mine for over 3 years now and never had one catch on fire. I have heard one stories online about one catching on fire but that was because they used Polyester thread!!! As long as you use all 100% cotton batting, fabric ( no metallic in fabric) and thread it is should be fine. I only have them in the microwave for no more than 2 minutes to warm up soup. There is always a risk with anything we do, I can't say this would never happen, just that if it does there is a reason and that is usually a thread or batting was used that had poly in it.

      Delete
  4. Very cute quilt! I love the raindrops panto on it. Surprised me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this quilt. The Raindrops panto is perfect.

    ReplyDelete