Saturday, March 24, 2018

Prismatic Star Quilt

mr1

This is Missy’s Prismatic Star quilt which is a paper pieced pattern by Judy Niemeyer of Quiltworx.  Missy owns Up North Quilt Shop in International Falls, MN and this quilt was a class she held at her shop a few months ago.  This is the first time I have quilted for Missy so I asked her if she liked feather quilting and she said they are not her favorite. I’m so glad I asked as I would have put feathers all over this quilt!   So my next idea was to have lines radiating out of the star with some fillers. I first doodled about 8 different fills but it was getting too busy so I simplified it with only two designs and very happy I went with this route. 

mr2

The fabric used is Timeless Treasures Gypsy Tonga Strips and the batting is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20.  I used a light blue So Fine thread for most of the quilt top, and switched to a light plum for the purple diamonds.

mr3

I quilted CC’s in the diamonds, stitched in the ditch around the large diamonds and did free hand swirls and U turns in the background.  I used my QP Fat Edge ruler for the diagonal lines.

mr4mr5mr6mr8

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Gorgeous quilt and I think you chose the perfect quilting for it. I'd love to watch you quilt a quilt and see how you start off and fill everything in. We had another storm here yesterday and got another dump of snow. Hopefully we get rid of it sooner rather than later!! It looks like you still have enough snow still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning paper pieced quilt. The variation of fabrics are just beautiful. And, the pale blue background highlights your creative quilting that just radiates out to the binding. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilting! Beautiful pattern and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is gorgeous! I love feathers but I think you took this over the top! Beautiful quilt and quilting. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites! Love the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Bother the quilt and the quilting.

    You still have a lot of snow! So do we in central Alberta, but it is going fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Your quilting adds dimension but isn't quilted-to-death like so many Niemeyer designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt. I love the design you came up with for the background. It really enhances the star. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are such an inspiration! I love checking in to see what you're doing. The quilting on this one is just perfect. Thank you for taking the time to post your work. (Mary M. in Minneapolis)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tamara, I have followed your quilting somewhat by accident as I keep searching Pinterest for ideas and find again and again I click through to here :) Must be that I like your taste! Thank you so much for posting so many pictures of this particular quilting work because I was trying to envision what someone meant when they said "radiating lines coming out off the points of the star, maybe two lines close together in sets and some kind of filler in between them" uh, DUH. Now that I see your illustration of it, I feel dumb that I couldn't envision what they were saying. This is so cool. I'm a beginner quilter (domestic, FMQ, not a longarm *I WISH*) so I look for things I CAN do and I love doing the swirls in a column on sashing already and have though I need to practice doing parallel lines. So perfect! Thanks for discussing your decision-making, too.

    Sarah
    An Heirloom in the Making

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, Kathy ((smirk)) I always see the Tamarack and think it says Tamara, sorry.

    ReplyDelete