Monday, April 23, 2018

Quilts for Humboldt

hb2

Many of you have probably heard in the news there was a terrible bus crash on April 6th in Saskatchewan involving the SJHL Humboldt Broncos team.  Many lives were lost and many will be dealing with this tragedy for the rest of their lives.   The quilt shop in Humboldt, Haus of Stitches, has started a ‘Quilters Call to Action” in making quilts for the Broncos and all that have been affected by this tragedy.   You can read about this project on the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guilds website here.  Their deadline for the quilts is May 18th. 

hb1

Quilting can be very therapeutic and for me making this quilt was a good way to ease that helpless feeling after the tragedy.   I hope it can provide comfort to someone in the days ahead.

hb3

They are asking for quilts in the teams colours, which are Green, Black, White and Yellow.  They have a block pattern on the site if you want to just make blocks but I wanted to make a completed quilt so used our Quarter Sections pattern.  Quilted it with Fascination, used yellow So Fine thread and Quilters Dream Blend batting.

hb4

A few other ladies in our town are making quilt tops so we will be sending them along together soon!

hb5

This weekend I was asked to teach a workshop at the Cabin Country Quilt Guild in Fort Frances, ON.  This is the guild I have joined since moving to Emo and they have made me feel very welcome into their group!  I taught our Highway 10 Designs Detour placemat and table runner pattern.  Here is a picture of all the ladies with their table runners in various stages.  I love seeing our patterns done up in different fabrics and it was a pleasure getting to know all these wonderful ladies better.

detour

3 comments:

  1. The Humboldt Broncos, by the time I saw the request for blocks, realised that with postage taking SO long recently, they would not arrive in time. But I hope my thoughts of care and sympathy will go there. Love the colours in your quilt, and what a great group of ladies in Emo.And each different selection of fabrics is super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabric for your Humboldt quilt. I'm mailing my quilt today. I'm glad that you have found a guild to join and settling in that way, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Humboldt quilt, perfect. Nice to see your new guild group, I'm sure they are more than thrilled to have your participation, as a longarmer and a teacher as well as a new member!

    ReplyDelete