Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lizards in the Snow


There are those lizards again!  Rae made this quilt top and wanted the quilting to be fun for a kid and we thought the lizards would do the trick.  I love this panto and just found out today that is now one of the pantos that Urban Elementz offers for FREE to print out.  

I used orange Lava thread which looks fantastic on the black fabric.

It was snowing when I too this picture so that is what the white blurry spots are!


This quilt has another favorite of mine....a snow dyed backing.   Rae asked me to dye the backing for this quilt and another one that I will be quilting next.

I used Bright Yellow, Orange and Scarlet on this piece.


To prevent the colors from blending too much and ending up with a solid orange backing, I did something different this time, I mixed the Procion dye powder into the snow!

I don't think I have shared that method before so I took pictures of the backing I have dyeing tonight.
For this backing I am using Bright Yellow, Golden Yellow, Orange and Red.


Cold, dry fluffy snow works best with this method. Wet heavy crystallized snow probably won't work.
I used 1 to 2 tsp of dye in each container of snow and mixed well.
Then just randomly scoop the snow onto the fabric, starting with the lightest color.



Here is how it looks tonight and by morning it should be ready to rinse and dry.
I'll show you the results when I have the next quilt finished!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...that backing is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those lizards and that backing fabric is so wonderful. Your snow dyeing looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful backing - I wish I had some snow! The liards look great.

    ReplyDelete