Monday, May 2, 2016

Fly Away Home Quilt

hh1

This is Heather’s Fly Away Home quilt and it is a pattern designed by the owner of Tiger Lily Quilts in Wolseley, SK.  The pattern is originally a 40” x 45” size but they changed it to 84” x92”.  I love the teal and browns as those are my favorite ‘beachy’ colours.   Heather picked a few pantographs that she liked and I chose Plush from her list.  Batting is Quilters Dream Blend and the thread is a medium teal So Fine.

hh2hh4hh3

As you can see most of our snow is gone and in the last two days the ice has been disappearing fast off the lake.  This morning I was playing with the ice that has ‘candled” which means it is very brittle and ready to move.

ice1ice2

I was having fun scooping up the ice and playing with the thin pieces the size of pencils.  

ice3

If feels like we have gone from winter to summer overnight as we are now getting 20’c temperatures and the ice is disappearing fast.  I took this first pictures this morning…

ice4

…and this picture tonight. The main lake is now open water and the ice in our bay is moving out to the open lake very quickly.  I don’t expect to see any ice when I wake up tomorrow.

ice5

7 comments:

  1. Love that quilt!!!! And glad the ice is going away for a while!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice quilt...I am planning one with flying geese now. It is called snow geese, but very similar idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the modern look of this quilt. Also love the colours.
    What a difference between pictures eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt. Always love FG. The colors are also perfect.

    I, too, have been watching similar lake water scenes. Though we have the same temps a lot of ice blew back into the bay overnight. Fascinating time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice quilt!!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR FAITHFUL-BEAUTIFUL-INSPIRATIONAL WEBSITE... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an eye catching design! That ice means I won't see much snow on your blog for a few months :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice quilt! And I just have to tell you that when you post pictures of your beautiful surroundings, you make me appreciate nature again - even all the cold and ice. you make it look beautiful and we should all learn to appreciate what it has to offer, good and bad. (even the cold!)

    ReplyDelete