Friday, September 23, 2016

Mahjongg #7

cym2

This is Cynthia’s Mahjongg quilt that she made in my Beginner Class back in 2014.  She used beautiful batik fabrics in black, orange and yellow, it was a perfect time of year to get to quilt this quilt!

cym3

I used the Mimosa pantograph, black So Fine thread on top and black Bottom Line on the back.  The batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

cym1cym4cym5

So I was again out in the dark playing with my camera  the last couple of nights and my challenge to myself was to capture the Milky Way.  I have been researching how to accomplish this and had a basic understanding of what setting to use. My only disappointment was the best time to capture the Milky Way in the Northern Hemisphere is in the summer!   But I did manage to get a few pictures I am please with for my first try!  I know I have a lot of room for improvement and that drives me to take better, more creative pictures next time!

This first one I took from my next door neighbours dock and the light from the next yard created light that shows the colour of the leaves on the island.  You can also see lights from houses further down the lake.  I love that the lake was calm and I was able to get the brighter stars reflecting in the water.

milky way

Then last night I took these one from a different part of our lake and I was happy to capture a meteor in this one which I saw zip above us.

milky1

While we were waiting for the clouds to move off I experimented with backlight.  I think next time I need to hold a quilt or drape one over the water level stick!

milky2

Last picture of the night and Mars is heading towards the horizon and reflecting in the lake.  If you haven’t stood under a dark starry sky in a while I highly recommend you find the time as it is the best way to clear your mind and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us.

milky3

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” Carl Sagan.  

5 comments:


  1. I love all your night sky pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab setting for the quilt, against the stones and then the leaves, with the lake behind, every one superb.The night pics, I can see you spending some time out there, this might be a close contest to either quilt or to get those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt and quilting! I love your night sky pictures. Your place is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your settings for quilt pictures are always gorgeous. Love seeing all of you photos. The night sky is amazing. Something I truly miss seeing. Thanks for sharing those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your night sky photos are great!!! I really like the backlit photo too and your idea of a quilt on the water level stick would be a great addition to the picture. I love seeing the night sky when I'm camping up north (northern MN). It is spectacular and leaves me in awe of this universe we are a part of.
    Great quote by Carl Sagan.

    ReplyDelete