Monday, January 16, 2017

Batik Metro Hoops

mw1

This is Melanie’s Metro Hoops quilt and it is a pattern by Sew Kind of Wonderful.  I am a big fan of these patterns and have made this quilt myself, you can see mine here.   Melanie asked for custom quilting so I sketched out a few ideas that has a similar feel to what I did on mine and we went with this version.   Melanie made her quilt a queen size and used batiks fabrics.  I used two thread colours on top , white So Fine on the background and a medium brown So Fine on the batiks.  I kept the bobbin thread one colour, a white Bottom Line.    The batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

mw2

I stitched in the ditch around the rings and then added a 1/4” echo.  Then I added the double diamond curved design and filled in the spaces with free hand feathers.

mw3

I used quite a few longarm rulers on this one and they were the #15 QP Curved Template, the #8 QP Curved Template and the QP Edge 5” straight ruler.   I used my channel locks on my Millennium to do the vertical lines and I eyeballed the 1/2” distance.  Only had to pick out a few the were spaced too wide!

mw4

Well we did the get warm weather Environment Canada predicted, it was +2’c yesterday but that caused my nice clear ice to cloud over.

mw5

Melanie send a very pretty Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements wide backing.  It is extremely soft with a good weight to it and quilted up beautifully!

mw6

Didn’t think I could get this large of quilt to cooperate and layout nicely on the snow, but it did!  So here are more pictures!

mw7mw8mw10mw11

14 comments:

  1. stunning quilting ... so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I love this pattern, I made it last year for a friend and had fun custom quilting it. Loving the snowy backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilting, Kathy! This quilt will be a family heirloom! Great job to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, and quilting! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt itself is outstanding, and your LA work certainly took it to even higher levels. Such a contrast between your version with the soft colours ... both are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole thing took my breath away! Beautiful quilt and the quilting is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an amazing quilt. The quilting just pushes it over the top! I especially loved seeing it from the back. You are sure to have a very happy customer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! What fabric collection was used on this? I would like to use it in a different pattern.

    ReplyDelete