Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Snow Swoon

swoon

This weekend I thought I would try walking out a quilt block in the snow instead of my swirls.  But this involved a lot of planning and a few tools so I was glad my husband was up to the challenge of helping me.  I thought you might be interested in the process so we took pictures along the way.  First challenge, how do I walk out a perfect square!  Well it so happens Tim used a simple tool when he was an exploration geologist in the bush, it’s called a turning table so he made me one. Works great for walking an accurate 90 degree turn.

swoon2

Once we walked out 24 metres on each side we added marker posts to each corner.

swoon3

Next we marked every 3metre along each side and then using a 24m long rope to mark a 3m grid in the square. We had to saw it back and forth to dig into the snow as it had a crust on top from some freezing rain.

swoon5

Now the plan!  I drew out a Swoon block and scaled it up to 24m from a 24inch block.

swoon4

Time to walk it out and I you can see the scale of the block with me in it! I then stomped down a few of the areas and that was a really good workout!

swoon6

Then I waited 3 days for the sun to shine so I could take a picture.  I had to re-walk it out this morning as it has snowed and filled in a lot of the outlines.

swoon1

Now if only I could get an aerial view of it.

I have been quilting and have too large quilts to take pictures of today now that the sun is out so I’ll share those soon!

14 comments:

  1. That is SO cool! Thanks for sharing. Wish we had snow here in Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! Now you need a little drone camera that you can fly up and get an aerial shot of your snow art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Kathy's idea. How fantastic. Our daughter and family are in B.C. at Sunpeaks resort, out from Kamloops, and there is so much snow and minus 12, going to - 17 at night. Ski runs to dream about. I do like the turning table, grandson will be very interested in how this works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool!! You sure have enormous patience, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudoos for a great job. A drone camera would do the trick and you have lots of space to fly it. You could get some great shots of the otters too I bet. Something for this years gift list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! As Claudia said, you need a drone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post showing a wonderful idea. You seemed to have perfect conditions for it. You are so right; you really need to get an aerial shot one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are so cool! Very creative AND fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea. You are so creative. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done and nice to get the husband involved:-) Beautiful morning! Thanks for showing the
    Process.
    LauraT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Swoon is one of my faves, and this is a stunning way to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, you presented your quilts is amazing! Congratulations! and regards from Budapest :)

    ReplyDelete