Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Merry Merry Snowmen

lc

This quilt belongs to Lorette who owns Spruce It Up Quilt Shop in Port Elgin, New Brunswick.   She has two longarm machines in her shop that are kept very busy with renters, so much so that she doesn’t have time to custom quilt her own quilts so she asked me to quilt two lap quilts for her. I just finished the first one, it is called Merry Merry Snowmen by Bunny Hill designs.  Lorette did all the applique and embroidery by hand and all the snowmen are made from wool.   For her applique she used ‘Cheri’s Cool Tool” mini iron with the applique tip to turn the edges over freezer paper, she said this is her favorite applique method and loves this tool.   Lorette made this quilt back in 2013 and it only took her 5 weeks to make!  It has been hanging in the shop since waiting to be quilted so I’m very happy to help her finished this project.

lc1

lc2

Lorette send a wool batt and asked me to use it on top of my Quilters Dream Blend batting. I am rarely asked to use two batts but this turned out wonderful!  Just look at the texture it created!

lc3

lc7

For thread I used a beige MicroQuilter on top and a beige Bottom Line on the back.  I used my Quilted Pineapple Fat Edge Straight ruler to quilt the cross hatching in the outer border.  I SID around all the applique and blocks and added loops, stipple, curls, pebbles and wavy lines for the background fill.  I used a small stencil for the corner squares in the border as well as a few blocks in the quilt.

lc14

lc8

lc10

lc11

lc15

lc18lc13alc12lc17

12 comments:

  1. Breath taking!! The quilt is stunning and your quilting is extraordinary, Kathy!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable quilt and the quilting...perfection! Those pictures, the snow...perfect timing on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much inspiration in your quilting! I get so many ideas. Love the whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, as always❤️ Love, love, love the double batt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot decide which block I like best. The extra puff adds so much, and the borders, all in all, " Pure Extravaganza!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have quilted a couple of these for my customers too....they are SEW much fun! Love what you did.....and you have real snow to show them off on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's adorable! I love all your quilting designs and those snowmen, well, they just make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good gracious. I just started quilting. I think I shouldn't see such gorgeous work right now, lest it discourage me from trying. This is breath-takingly beautiful - both the design of the quilt and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy I love your quilting... it's gorgeous... thank you so much for adding your personal touches to this quilt... I love how the wool batt added the extra texture... I'm so pleased....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this quilt - all of the blocks are appliquéd on, 2/3'ds are stitched and most of the embroidery is done....I need to hunt it down and finish. Not sure if I can afford to have it custom quilted - any other suggestions on quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful quilt and stunning quilting

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a wonderful, beautiful quilting job!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete