Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dragonfly Pond



Stack and Wacks seem to be a very popular quilt this month. I have three to do and just finished the first one with the Dragonfly pantograph. It worked very well with the butterfly and dragonfly theme fabric used in the pinwheel.

Now I have a comment about extra wide backing fabrics. When you get it cut off the bolt there is a good chance that it will be quite off square because of the two folds. Buy extra to accommodate this, like 8" extra, as i just cut that much off on a clients quilt backing when squaring it, luckily she had bought extra so there was no problem attaching that backing to the longarm frame. Those of us in Flin Flon have been very lucky over the years to have Marg cutting our backing, she always made sure it was straight but now that her store is closed we are finding other stores are not so careful.

This picture shows how off the edge was. (Note: the cutting mat is not square to the fabric, i just threw it under so i could cut.) I rarely use my mat for measuring, I always use my rulers for squaring.

3 comments:

  1. The Dragonflies look great! I am sure she is going to be more than happy!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Dragon flies... :-) Do I have enough backing???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I have figured out how not to be anonymous!

    ReplyDelete