Friday, August 4, 2017

Viking Quilt

viking

I have been finding a bit of time for my own quilting projects between all this moving business and started a quilt for my sister who turned 50 this year.  The pattern is called Islendingadagurinn by Fabriculous which is a quilt shop in Brandon, Manitoba.  I loved this quilt the first moment I saw it in their shop window and knew it would be perfect for my sister so I bought the kit.  I showed her the quilt top yesterday and she loved it!  But it might be awhile before she gets the finished quilt!

viking1viking2

You may have noticed the blank block in the center!  That is for a special design that the pattern designers ( Wendy and George) are working on and they just emailed the first draft so I will share that once it is done. 

viking3

I have also been finding time to enjoy our last summer at the lake.

kayak1

loon1loon5

11 comments:

  1. Quilting out on your deck...does it get any better than that???? I'd love to join you for a canoe trip thru your lake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt, great concept. Ahhh, on the water in shield country, nothing better. I used to do alot of Algonquin trips when I lived in Toronto. The call of the loon....gorgeous photos, thanks for bringing back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning quilt. And a last summer, make the most of those canoe trips, the water so close by, and quilty stuff out there in the sunshine. Down here, another cold start ( at least by our standards).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you that your are making sure that this summer is not all about the moooove .... and you are finding lots of time for you to enjoy the beauty of your area. A great way to celebrate your sister's birthday ... though you should be doing a new one (or two!) for your new home sweet home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool quilt - lucky sister!
    Love the photo of the loon. Years ago before we had our children we had part of our trip to Canada in the Rockies - and hired a canoe. We saw plenty of loons and we never did get close enough for a photo and we paddled and paddled trying - and ended up with just a tiny dot on the lake - the rest of the time they were being sneaky and diving. But we have great memories of all our holidays in Canada. So thanks for all the photos. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting quilt (guess you gotta be a Viking for that horned look! HA). What beautiful pix you took..the loons are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen a quilt like that before. What a magnificent bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're finding time for your own sewing! That's an interesting quilt. You'll miss the lake. Excellent capture of the loons. I can never get quite close enough for such good, clear pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pattern. Looks like you are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're finding time to enjoy your last summer on that beautiful lake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photographs of the loons just take my breath away! There is nothing like a cottage on a lake! Nothing! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete