Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grad Quilt

My client asked me to quilt this amazing grad quilt for her granddaughter.  She had photographs of her GD arranged on the quilt like someone just placed them down on the quilt so I quilted the quilt like the photos were placed on top after it was made. ( got that?)    I quilted the lines to follow the shapes in the piecing and not the photos.  I stippled the red squares and center triangles and made tiny loops in the black triangles to make the photos stand out more.( hard to see the quilting in the pictures I know).  The outer red triangles I quilted straight lines radiating out ( love that) as I didn't want to over quilt this quilt, the photos and the center embroidery is the focus.  The backing is red so I used red bobbin thread and was able to balance the tension when i used white on top.  I REALLY don't like the look of different colored threads on a backing, it just looks too messy for me, I would rather spend the time getting the tension just right.   
Just woke up to our first significant snowfall so it looks like winter is here.  I'll take some pictures today as I love the first snowfall of the year, especially when I don't have to drive in it! 



3 comments:

  1. Such a unique quilt. I like the simplicity of the quilting, especially those radiating lines in the triangles. They are perfect for the design of the quilt. Kudos to both you and your client. What a fortunate granddaughter. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful grad quilt! Think I know the lucky granddaughter and I'm sure it will be appreciated! Both your client and you have done a great job!! E

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique design... nice to see a quilt with a great deal of love going in to making it. Kathy, great job on the free motion quilting keeping it simple allowing the photo pieces to display so well. G (enjoy feeding the fish on your website... so cute!)

    ReplyDelete