Friday, June 29, 2012

Closed for the Season :)


It's that time of year again when I close up my longarm business for the summer so I can spent more time with my family. Our summers are very short up here so I want to enjoy it as much as I can.  I won't be blogging as often as I usually do but I will have a few personal quilting project to share over the summer and maybe some fabric dyeing too.

I reached a great milestone with my business this month and that was to pay myself back for the purchase of my Millennium.  I had saved up to buy my Mille and I wanted to keep track of how long it would take to pay myself back.   I bought my longarm new 3 1/2 years ago and with exchange, duties and shipping it cost me $20,000.  On the APQS site it states that if you quilt 10 queen size quilts a month you can pay off your machine in one year. But that isn't exactly true....what about your expenses?  If your thinking of starting a longarm business I believe a more realistic goal would be 2 1/2 years to pay off your machine at 10 quilts per month.  It took me longer as I take 3 months off a year, have a large supply of threads, batting and pantos, and I really like to have time to work on my own projects so 10 quilts a month is my limit.  Another large expense is insurance!     For me to run my business and have clients come to my house, which was very important to me, I have to pay $600 a year on insurance.   So there are a lot of expense to consider when figuring out how long it takes to pay for a longarm machine.  I thought this might be interesting to those of you considering this as a business.

So to celebrate this milestone I thought I would get a tattoo!   LOL....no not for me... for my Mille :)


Urban Elementz sell this great tattoo decals and I thought it would be fun to decorate up my machine.

 I though I would end this post with some pictures I took while kayaking on our lake a few days ago as this is what I'll be doing instead of quilting the next two months!





Hope you have a great summer....or winter if your down under.... not that you can really call that a winter ;)

13 comments:

  1. Have a great summer Kathy! The lake looks so calm....you'll have to enter some of your photos in "Our Canada" magazine. There's a lot of work to a business to be sure. Will be watching for your posts during the summer. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the milestone, Kathy. Enjoy your summer. I sure am enjoying mine. Thinking of you. Thanks for the pics. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is definitely a milestone to celebrate! Good for you! Enjoy your well-deserved break with your family. The pictures are gorgeous as usual and the water looks so clear. I really love the Canadian Shield and it looks lovely there. I'm going to miss the activity on your blog, but I'm looking forward to seeing you in July! Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well...i think i will come vacation with you for the next 2 months! :) It was interesting to read your 'payback' period for Mille. I bought my Gammill used, and it came with a ton of pantos, templates, stencils, threads...i spent $15 and i was lucky to pay that back in 18 months. Of course, i had an instant customer base that still needed their quilts finished. So i was up and running right away. i felt very fortunate. However...over the past couple years i have spent an additional $1000 on classes and that should be figured into a budget too. I think it's a wonderful business. You have to love it...i do! and one has to have the space.

    Have a wonderful summer enjoying your family...look forward to reconnecting in a couple months.
    ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you Kathy for all your hard and beautiful work. Enjoy your break - you deserve it! I am sure you and your family will enjoy it. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the honesty and info! I think that's all important stuff that doesn't get brought up that often. Have a great summer, looking forward to your lake pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on paying yourself back! Will miss your blog over the summer, but I understand. Oh, and wow, love the kayaking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, have a wonderful summer. Now we're totally jealous of your lake and your beautiful quilting abilities! Thank you for the longarm quilting info. I never realized the part about insurance adding to costs. Makes total sense.

    Love your quilts. I keep coming back to look at your Winner's Bouquet quilt. That one is just plain gorgeous.

    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on paying of your Millie! Enjoy your time with your family. These are special times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was supposed to say "paying off your Mille".

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful scenery, we just got back from a canoe trip, I think you had a little better viewing, LOL Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tattoos!!! I think I might get one too :-)
    Have a great summer, and I hope you'll have nice weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty accent on your machine! Thanks for the info on payback time for the expense of a machine. l

    ReplyDelete