Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nine Patch Quilt


This is the second Nine Patch quilt I have quilted for Val and I wanted to make sure I quilted it different from the first one.  Last time I did a feather wreath from a stencil in the snowball blocks, seen here, and this time I did a free hand design inspired by this post from Terri's blog.  That was much faster than marking out a stencil as I only drew out the center circle using an air erase marker and a roll of tape for my template.


 I first quilted the circle then did the swirl in the center and then the feathers on the outside.  Quick and simple and it has a fun flowery look. 


I got a wonderful surprise in the mail yesterday.  A few weeks ago my friend Linda from the Quilted Pineapple asked her readers to guess how many stops and starts she had on the quilt she posted.  Well I love a challenge so I studied the quilt and figured out the minimum number of starts and stops it would take and I guessed the closest!  I thought guessing the closest and having those bragging rights was good enough for me but Linda, being the sweetie that she is, sent me a prize! Well I was blown away by the generosity of this prize, a fat quarter bundle of Lily and Will fabrics!!   I just love the buttery yellow and soft browns in this collection and know it will make a beautiful lap or baby quilt.  Thanks Linda, your awesome!!


Oh, one more thing.
On Saturday and again this morning I have been listening to a helicopter flying very low over our house and thought I would take a few pictures to show you what we commonly see here flying around our Northern town.  My local readers know what he is doing but I am wondering if anyone else has any guesses.




13 comments:

  1. Completely clueless about the helicopter. Looks very close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you quilted the snowballs. Thanks for explaining your process. I can't come up with any kind of reasonable guess on the helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the flower in the snowball too!!

    i give up- what's the helo doing??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, I love how you turned that snowball into a pretty flower. You are always so generous sharing your methods as well. Now the helicopter -- hmm, is he catching bugs and counting them? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your quilting on the 9 patch. Recently, I used an embroidery hoop to make a large feathered wreath center. I didn't want to mark the customer's quilt, so I traced it with the hopping foot. Templates are easier, but the size had to encompass embroidery. I think your method would be easier.
    The helicopter? You've got me wondering. If that red disk is a sensor, it could be searching for grow-light frequencies to find people growing illegal plants indoors. Do I read too many mysteries?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love how you did the snowball blocks. The entire quilt is gorgeous. Now I'm curious about what the helicopter is doing. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are they spraying for bugs? Mosquitos, wood beetles? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very welcome, dear friend!!!!! I know you will find something fabulous to make with them. LOVE the quilting on the nine patch. Perfect balance of design. Ummm, that helicopter has me puzzled...looks very comic book, super hero-ish. Lol...is that Batman in there??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to think about that weird helicopter set up. My guess is they must be stocking fish in your lake? I know they stock a lot of lakes here in AK but I've never seen it done.

    I love all your quilting...your work is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the snowballs...looking for deposits of ore or oil....thats my quess...geomagnetic equitment

    ReplyDelete
  11. No idea what the helicopter is doing.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. al from new jerseyJune 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM

    Can it drop down on top of a tree so the tree enters it, can be cut and the entire tree can be lifted away without damage to surrounding
    area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. kathy...
    i love the comment list your followers have listed about the helicopter....
    but, alas, they are mistaken!!
    don't leave them dangling for tooooo long, do tell them what it is :)
    love your blog

    ReplyDelete