Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Braids on Parade Quilt

 bali1

I’m back in the swing of quilting again and am happy to show you the first quilt in our snowy landscape this season.  We have had about 30 cm of snow fall and it’s still coming down but in big fluffy flakes!  This is Phyl’s  Braids on Parade quilt by Far-Flung Quilts and she used the  Trapezoid Strip Ruler by Creative Grids.  She adapted the pattern and added the strips of sashing between the rows.  The fabric used is a Rum Raisin Bali Pop.  I quilted it with the Bombay Blossom panto, used Quilters Dream Blend batting and dyed the backing for her.

bali2 bali3

Have to share this picture as it was snowing as I was taking pictures and I couldn’t keep the snow off the quilt.  So I used this as an opportunity to get a snowflake shot.  These ones are a bit icy and not as good as –30’ snowflakes!   That will be my goal this winter to get a great snowflake picture.   You can also see the Lava variegated thread I used too!

bali4 bali5

The ice started to form on the lake last night, this might not last if the wind picks up as it is so calm right now.bali6ice

22 comments:

  1. Stunning, stunning - both the quilt and the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy quilting & backing Kathy. It has been snowing in the eastern part of Washington State this week. Your's is much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt Kathy -- congratulations an the wonderfully dyed backing and the quilting. Also want to thank you for posting pictures of those snowflakes. My goodness they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing... Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt pattern and as usual the quilting is beautiful!!! This pattern is going on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't live there but i love that lake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Always such stunning photos. Love the braid colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! What a pretty, and fascinating, snowflake shot! The quilt is really pretty, too - funny, because my side project right now is piecing a braid quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy -- awesome quilting and wonderful photos of snowflakes! Amazing how much snow you have and the lake is still open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is fabulous! I love, love, love the colors!!!
    The snow is beautiful. I like looking at it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love braid quilts - and this one is just beautiful! I can't say enough about your scenery photos with (and without) the quilts - absolutely stunning. I think I'll put Schist Lake on my "must visit" list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous always! Scenery, quilt and quilting! And that snowflake shot? Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love your snowy backdrops! So jealous of those beautiful snowflakes, too! Even in our ski fields we rarely get the full flakes, because it's just not cold enough here - I think I've only seen them twice in over 30 years of skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful...both the quilt and the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still can't believe you have snow. I love Braid Quilts. You did a great job matching the backing colour. I have never even thought of taking pictures of snowflakes. How cool is that!!?
    Great shot - they are so different and unique. Hard to believe there are never two alike.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt - love the colors! And what a beautiful setting- that lake is gorgeous - so calm and peaceful. I'm not anxious for snow, but it does make a lovely background for your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, Kathy, I can't decide what I love more, the quilting or the photos! The snowflakes are amazing! I had to smile at you getting right to the snow dyeing! It looks fab! Stay warm, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt is gorgeous. The scenery is stunning and the picture of the snowflakes just blew me and my son away. We can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Detail on the Snowflakes - that is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. where does one get the pattern and able to download it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marilyn - the Pattern is not downloadable, I have linked to the shop were you can purchase the paper pattern. Just click on the quilt title in purple.

    ReplyDelete