Monday, November 18, 2013

Not Your Mother’s Rail Fence – Pattern Number 3!

rail10

Lori and I are excited to share our third quilt pattern with you today!  Highway 10 Designs presents “Not Your Mother’s Rail Fence” quilt which is a twist on the traditional Rail Fence pattern.   It is now in our Etsy and Craftsy shops and we hope to have the paper version within the month to add to our Etsy shop.

We both made this quilt so have two color ways to show you.  Lori’s is the purple version that we decided to use for the pattern cover is it was bolder and more photogenic than mine!   It also stood out beautifully in the snowy backdrop!   She made it using batik fabrics ranging from light to dark purple with a splash of gold thrown in.  You can visit Lori’s blog here to see more pictures of her quilt and it’s story!

rail9rail11

Now here is my quilt which I did in peach, green and off white, it has a very different feel from Lori’s quilt.   I made it this summer as a gift for my Grandmother who just moved into a new seniors residence after she turned 90.   It looks so good with her teak bedroom suite and she called me three times to thank me for it!   :)

rail3

I used batik fabrics that blended into each other except for the off white to show off the step design.  Used Quilter’s Dream Blend batting and quilted free hand feathers across the quilt.  I used a sold cream backing to show off the quilting, love the texture the feathers made on this quilt!

rail1rail4 rail5

This pattern comes with instructions for Lap, Twin, Full and Queen sizes.  We included some tips on how to properly add borders to your quilt top as longarm quilters love it when a quilt top has it borders pieced on correctly!   :)

Lori stated it very well in the end of her post how thankful we are for everyone’s support in our new venture.   Not only am I enjoying the design aspect of this new business but the fact that it keeps Lori and I in touch so often.  It makes it feel like she never moved away and that is the part I am most thankful for, good friendships can survive any distance.

7 comments:

  1. Love it!!!!! I really like your colors Kathy, looks awesome with the allover feathers!
    Love the new pattern, haven't made anything yet with the last pattern I purchased, but soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both beautiful. Love the one you gave your grandmother. Can see why she would keep calling to thank you. It must look awesome against the colour of her teal furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilts and quilting. I love your colors the best! They're in my palette!
    congratulations on another beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous take on the rail fence pattern...I will be checking your Craftsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love your quilts-I just completed a Giant dahlia but bot near as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete