Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snowflake Quilt

ho1

My client Heather calls this the Snowflake quilt and you can see why!  The blocks and fabrics she chose definitely give the quilt a wintery snowflake look.  The print fabric has a silver metallic detail which really give the quilt some sparkle.   I quilted the center of the quilt with the Flurry panto and custom quilted the borders.  Quilters Dream Blend batting, white and navy So Fine thread, and the bobbin thread is a light blue Bottom line to match the backing.  Didn’t get a picture of the backing as it was so cold out this morning (-37’ windchill) so it was a quick photo shoot!  That is one of the reasons my blog has been quieter than usually this past month, just too cold to get good pictures outside!  Also I had another root canal done last week that really affected my week as it was more painful than the other ones. Still not feeling 100% but hope things will start improving with the dental issues soon!

ho5ho7

I quilted the corner blocks in the border to look like snowflakes with some diamond and linear shapes plus added a few curved designs.

ho2

Quilted a simple cross hatch in the inner border, large swirl in the middle border and a open feather in the outer border.

ho3ho4ho6

13 comments:

  1. my favorite color is very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mix of custom and panto. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. (I think quilting all that blue would have made me even colder. I would have had to convince myself that the blues were harvested from the sky!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty with that icy cold feeling our weather lately. It makes me want to cuddle under a quilt right now. The mixture of panto and custom is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty quilt with all the snowflakes. Your pictures just bring things to life. I don't quite know how you can bring yourself to brave the cold - I've been kind of hibernating for the last couple of weeks! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!!!! Love how you quilted the blocks! No school here due to the extremely low temps. Hope you start feeling better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gourgeous! Blue is my favorite color... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...The quilt and the quilting are just stunning!!! :-) By any chance, do you know what the pattern for the quilt is or names of the blocks used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattern is in McCalls Quilting, Dec 2004. The pattern is called Snow Crystals by Lerlene Nevaril.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the information! :-)

      Delete
  9. I really like the semi-custom look of this one and the blue and white create a stunning quilt. So sorry about the dental pain.

    ReplyDelete