Saturday, April 18, 2015

Early Spring!

pedal1

I was looking at pictures on my blog from last April and can’t believe the difference in the amount of snow on the ground.  The snow is almost all gone now where as last year we still had a lot of snow on the ground.  The ice is now turning grey and we have water along the edge of the shoreline so it is nice to see we are going to have an early spring!  I have my outcrop to use as a backdrop again, I love this rock and many people who come to visit us comment on how eye catching it is.  Its always nice to have an opportunity to put my geology degree to some use and be able to explain the process of how the rock formed!  Not too many quilters have a studio build on a 1.9 billion year old outcrop of a pyroclastic flow from Precambrian  volcanoes…unless you live in my neighbourhood!   Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with any more geology talk…I can’t remember much more than that anyway.

pedal2

So this is Marg’s Pedal to the Metal quilt, she made a second quilt out of the left over fabrics she bought for the one I quilted for her last week here.  She bought extra fabrics when she made quilt “C” and had enough to make quilt “A” from the pattern.  Then today she showed me the third quilt she is putting together with all the bits and pieces she had left over from this quilt! She really knows how to stretch out those left over pieces!

pedal4

This time I used Mimosa for the panto, brown So Fine thread and Quilters Dream Blend batting.

pedal3

This was our view yesterday, its raining today, so I’m sure we have more open water now.

pedal5

And this is how it looked last year at this time!  The snow was still up to the top of the dock and we had two feet of snow by the Shack.  

barb4sandra7

5 comments:

  1. Pyroclastic flow?! That is seriously awesome and I am suitably impressed.

    The quilt is nice too, I suppose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of the quilts are stunning..nice to see the I e leaving...neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey some of us like the geology talk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I though the back drop was a huge tree trunk so thanks for the geology lesson. Now can we see the Whole rock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure I show more of it in future blog posts! It is the outcrop my Shack is build on.

      Delete