Thursday, April 23, 2015

Gravity Quilt

gravity17

I’m sure you are starting to see this quilt around the internet a lot and if not you will soon.   The pattern is called Gravity and it is by Jaybird Designs.   This quilt belongs to the Manitoba Prairie Quilters, which is a guild located in Winnipeg, and this will be their Raffle Quilt for their Quilt Reflections Show on April 8 - 10, 2016.   It was pieced by Joan Dupuis-Neal and she completed the quilt top in four days!    And since it took me four days to quilt I guess you could call this quilt an eight day project! LOL…or maybe not!   We were both doing our best to get this top completed on a deadline so the MPQ buy their raffle license and print their tickets.   I am not a member of this guild, too far away, but if you are interested in tickets you can leave your email in the comments and I’ll forward your comment to my contact person in their guild.  Tickets should be available sometime in June.

gravity3

So I’m going to warn you now, this post if picture heavy!   

Gravity is a large quilt, 96” x97”, and I was asked to keep the quilting light to keep within the guilds budget and that was no problem as I love light custom, that’s my thing as you know.   So it took a bit of time to come up with the quilting designs and made a lot of those decision went I had the quilt on the machine.  First thing I did was search online for inspiration and only found two completed Gravity quilts.  One is the cover quilt on the pattern which you can see on Jaybirds blog here and the second was on Teresa’s blog Quilting is my Bliss which you can see here.   I used elements from these quilt in the center designs and 95% of the quilting is done with rulers.   For the background I know right away I wanted that to be a different style of quilting from what is in the center to really separate the two areas and allow the center to shine.  This is the first sketch I came up with and it ended up being the final design.  I wanted to have rays coming from the center but also echo the design and I think this was the perfect combination, giving it an overlapping feel.

gravity14

gravity13

gravity1gravity4

All the seams on this quilt are pressed open, which is a style of quilting I am not use too so I needed to avoid stitch in the ditch as much as possible.   So out came the rulers, mainly my Quilted Pineapple Templates, love those curved rulers.  This was the first time I tried the smallest one, the BFF, as I usually free hand small CC’s curve.  But I loved how perfect it made the quilted curves look on this quilt as it is made entirely of solid fabrics.

gravity12

The guild requested that I used Mono Poly thread which I rarely use but in this case it was the perfect chose. It was the reason I could quilt this quilt so fast and I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the final look, it gave it a bit of a shine too.  I used a grey Bottom Line in the bobbin as the backing was grey.   The batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

gravity11

One design element that you might not notice right away is that the six center diamonds are all quilted the same even though they are not pieced exactly the same.  That gave the center a pleasant focus even though I wasn’t following the seam line on all of the diamonds.

gravity5

Here are some close up pictures of the quilting designs.

gravity8gravity6gravity7gravity20gravity9gravity10

And yes I was out on the ice this morning, just had too!  It has been cool this week with below freezing temperatures at night so the lake ice is still thick enough to walk on off the end of the dock.

gravity16gravity19

So there it is and I know it won’t be the only one I quilt as a few of my quilting friends are making this quilt right now.

I hope this turns out to be a great fundraiser for the Manitoba Prairie Quilters and I hope to make it down for the show next year.

gravity18

28 comments:

  1. I love how you quilted the outside of this quilt. Nice way to quilt it and not spend so much time on it. The center is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really gourgeous! I love the ruler work on the outside, it makes the star twinkle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zits a gorgeous patter, and you have quilted it so lovely, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. love what you did, and thanks for sharing the design process

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning... great job Kathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting Kathy. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work all around! That shot with both the birches and the dock is my favourite -- they should use it for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning! I love every inch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a great deal of fun with this quilt. It has turned out wonderfully. I especially love what you have done with the centre and how you were able to let the centre shine over the background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did an amazing job on this beautiful quilt! Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just jaw dropping gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Kathy. You added a lot of interest in the center. You have proven again that a quilt does not need to be quilted to death to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowsers!!!!!! This is a total stunner!!!! So much to draw your interest and keep the eye moving. "Well done" doesn't come close to describing this for me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt is spectacular!! I totally love everything about it! Totally!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic in the close up shots too. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just catching up on blog reading...this quilt is so fabulous. The quilting is over the top! Thanks for the info on rulers...I was wanting a set of curved ones...will have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just gorgeous job! Couldn't see it done any other way! Love, love, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love this. Gorgeous malorgeous is what this is. You are an amazing quilter. Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love love love this. Gorgeous malorgeous is what this is. You are an amazing quilter. Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing how you designed the quilting for this! I'm very new to longarm quilting and this is the quilt my son decided he wanted as his dorm quilt when he went away to school this fall. What a challenge! I only had two days rented on the longarm, but with the help of your design for the outsides of the star, and armed with rulers I managed to get it done. Couldn't have done it without this post - I've been a reader for years and love each and every post you do. Laura-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Magnifique j'aime beaucoup j'aimerai tellement apprendre à matelasser ainsi ou pourai je prendre des cours svp
    Merci à vous pour ce joli partage

    ReplyDelete
  22. Magnifique j'aime beaucoup j'aimerai tellement apprendre à matelasser ainsi ou pourai je prendre des cours svp
    Merci à vous pour ce joli partage

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your design process and info on rulers. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete