Sunday, June 17, 2018

Wildlife Panels and Photos

cn

Cindy found these really stunning wildlife panels and created a wonderful quilt with a 16 block layout.  The panels are by Robert Kaufman and called North American Wildlife.  I searched online and the only information could find was they would be available in September 2018 in Canada. So they must have had an earlier release date in the States and that is probably where she purchased them. She wasn’t sure of the shop she got them at and the ones I frequent across the border did not have them.

cn2

I love the sashing fabric and black borders as they really allow the panels to be the focus.  I quilted it with the Flirtatious and used Monopoly thread so to not distract from the panel designs.  The batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

cn3

cn4cn5

cn6

I thought this would be a good post to share some of the local wildlife pictures I have been taking recently.  I missed a few great opportunities and ended up with shots of animal running away from me!  I need to get a bit faster on getting set up so not to miss the shot I want!

Here is a porcupine running away, I wasn’t going to chase it!

porcupine1

Here is a fox running away with a bird in its mouth. Picture taken from my deck.

fox

A deer by our house just before it ran away!  I’m getting better as he is kinda facing me!

deer

We started exploring our area and took the kayaks to Hope Lake which is about a 30 minute drive from our house.  It was so nice to be back on the lake and my hope on Hope Lake was to see some turtles,  I wasn’t disappointed!  We didn’t have turtles up north but when I was a kid loved catching turtles at my parents cottage.

hope1

We ended up seeing a few painted turtles and 4 huge snapping turtles!  There were two on a beaver hut and I was able to get a shot of one of them before it ran into the water. Another one caught me by surprise as it ran down the outcrop into the lake.

hope7 (2)

Now this last one was mostly buried in the mud and we thought it might be dead so Tim tapped it with his paddle and his head poked up!  Can you see him in this next picture?

hope3

There he is!   When we paddled back that way a few minutes later, creek was blocked by a beaver dam, and he was gone.

hope4

There were wild irises in bloom in this creek that were beautiful.

hope5

5 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt. I, too, love the sashing. I think it is exactly what is needed to make the wildlife pictures pop. Great wildlife pictures. Hope Lake looks just as beautiful and relaxing as Schist Lake. I tried to grow Blue Flag irises up north but they did not survive more than two seasons. They are so beautiful but I guess they prefer more southern climes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the panel images fabric was designed by artist Jody Bergsma. She's a local artist here in Bellingham. Here work is known worldwide. She has a lot of wonderful pieces. Her art has been reproduced on may mediums. Here's a link to her website. She is retiring soon. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sashing really sets off the blocks on that wildlife quilt. And your photos of the animals running away from you are too funny! Your neck of the woods looks delightful! I love your iris shot, and I've never seen turtles that big in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your blog. I'm homebound in LA, but I travel to Canada with your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice quilt and a great idea for using up panel blocks, simple but stunning at the same time.

    ReplyDelete