Saturday, April 23, 2022

Sea Glass Quilt


I have wanted to make a Sea Glass wall hanging for a long time. I have been following the Exhausted Octopus on Instagram for a few years now and she has made some amazing Sea Glass quilts.  She even created an online class on how to make one so I purchased the class and watched it when it was convenient for me.  I would highly recommend this class if you have been thinking about making one of these quilts.  Here is a link to her website


I made a small one, its about 22" x34".   I'm happy with how it turned out but think when I make another one I would vary the pebble size more and cut the shapes more random.  You can see I like things very even and uniform, that's how my brain works so I will have stretch outside my box to get the amazing results I see from Allie's samples she shares on her Exhausted Octopus Instagram. 



After fusing down the pebbles I loaded it onto my longarm and quilted them down, traveling from pebble to pebble and was done in no time.  I just used on thread, a white So Fine and it worked well. 


I would recommend using a good quality fusible for this project.  My favorite is Steam A Seam 2 Lite.  I had a bunch of WonderUnder on hand so used that for mine and regretted it!  It was not strong enough and my fabric pebbles were falling of when I was handling it.  So learn from my mistake, use the good stuff!


I used a facing for this wall hanging instead of binding and that worked very well. 


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your sea glass quilt. The facing works perfectly for your wall quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the shapes and color placement make it glow! I struggle with randomness also (and scrappy, and raw edge 🙂) but you nailed this one.

    ReplyDelete