Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Cupola View Quilt


Last year I purchased a fat quarter bundle from Periwinkle Quilting called Earth Views, a collection by Karen Nyberg who is a NASA Astronaut. I just love this fabric as they represent different ecosystems on Earth seem from the Space Station.  Karen also co-wrote a pattern with Sarah Ruiz called Cupola Views and I knew right away that I wanted to make it!
   

The fat quarter bundle had 30 fabrics and the pattern only required 24 but I wanted to use all the fabrics, couldn't leave any out!  So I added 3 extra triangle units to each row to make it larger. I also left the side edges pointy as I didn't want to cut the side straight. I made bias binding to finish the quilt.


I hand appliqued the circles onto the quilt top using the freezer paper method and made my own templates for cutting out the circles that had the extra 1/4" around for turning the edge.


I wanted the quilting to be simple so I chose Ebb and Flow for the pantograph design, used dark purple So Fine thread and Quilters Dream Blend batting.



I used a blue wide backing from Wilmington Textiles.


My youngest son has laid claim to this quilt, he said his other quilt was boring compared to this one! :)
 

As you can see by the photos it is a bit hazy here with a mix of cloud and light smoke.


 It was a rare calm day on the river so had to take the quilt down to the dock for pictures.
 


3 comments:

  1. This quilt is just gorgeous. In fact it is so beautiful it wants to reel me back to quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just absolutely stunning! Is the quilting pattern (ebb and flow?) your pattern. I am a "short armer" LOL I have a very small space with no room for the full meal deal, so I quilt on a Babylock Coronet with the 5 ft. frame. Love this! Thank you for all you share!n

    ReplyDelete