Thursday, March 29, 2012

30's Reproduction Quilt


This is Jean's 30's Reproduction Quilt that she made for one of the beds at her place at the lake.  This was her first time appliqueing a quilt and she did a wonderful job.   She purchased the Reproduction fabrics while on a trip in the States.


I just CC'd the squares in the body of the quilt and added petals in the center of the stars and four patches.  I wanted to keep the traditional feel of this quilt as it would have probably been hand quilted 1/4" in from all the seams in the 30's.


This is the largest quilt I have had on my machine so far...107" x114".

I did my favorite 'feather feather curl' inner border design that I learnt from Carla Barrett's Quilt Whisperer class.  I then SID around the applique in the border and added a curl background fill.
  The backing fabric is solid white so shows off the quilting nicely!

10 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt and your quilting is perfect for it. I bet you are a little tired of cc right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt. The old fashioned ones are always my favorite. Great job of quilting it Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome !!! Border treatments were perfect and I love the CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The open curls are perfect in the applique border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticted - no outside photos with this one. Is it still snowing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilting - especially those inner borders....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilting, and just right for the quilt! You're very patient to do those curls with so much travel-stitching! I've discovered that although I love this pattern, I prefer to only stitch it at a small-scale, where the reverse travel stitching is only a few stitches long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt, and I think your quilting choices were perfect. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty Kathy! I love continuous line, especially on these quilts...it's perfect for this quilt and your swirls around the applique is perfect for that quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful little swirls...I need to try that, but I have been too fearful I would mess them up! All the backtracking!

    ReplyDelete