Monday, October 26, 2015

Butterflies

butt7
Our guild is having a retreat this coming weekend so I am getting a few project ready to take.   I loved the Butterflies quilt pattern by Laundry Basket Quilts the first time I saw it and had to make it.  I used batik fabrics from my stash and spent the weekend tracing and cutting out the butterflies. My husband even joined me at the kitchen table and traced about half of the butterflies for me!  I have all the blocks fused and ready to applique down at the retreat.   The one thing I’m trying to decide on is do I embroider the antenna or drawn them on?  I embroidered a few already but I wasn’t enjoying the process and my friend Ardelle mentioned she just drew hers on.  I’m liking that idea more and more!
butt2butt4
I have all 30 blocks ready to applique down with invisible thread at the retreat.  That should take me awhile.
butt3

See my post on the finished quilt here!


15 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing these in person. They look absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful butterflies. I love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, and your batiks, rich and so many colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many of these fabrics, but have yet to use any of them. One day!! Your quilt is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful fabrics for the butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your the butterflies in the batiks. I find batik too dense to embroider on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should check out Accuquilt! You can pre-fuse the fabric and cut out four butterflies in one pass. If the fabric isn't fused, then you can cut six butterflies at a time. The pattern is the same. I cut out a butterfly quilt in about 15 minutes. It is so easy and an incredible time-saver! I have been collecting dies and love how easily they all go together. They have wonderful videos that you can watch. Their site is so well done. I would highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you finish the edges? It looks like the butterflies on this quilt are turned under.

      Delete
    2. They are fused then machine appliquéd with smoky invisible thread. The edge are not turned, I think the quilting in the ditch around them gives that effect.

      Delete
  8. The batik prints look perfect for the butterflies. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you show me how to finish the edges of the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visit the link I shared above the last image that takes you to the final quilt. Its all there.

      Delete