Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Weather Outside is Frightful…

mirror1

The Winter Solstice has arrived in all it grand splendour!    Woke up to a icy sunny sky and –41’c ( that is also –41’F if your wondering).   This is the coldest December I have experienced in a long time and I wonder what January will have in store for us.   So if you have been wondering why there haven’t been many outdoor pictures on my blog lately you now have your answer! :)  

dec21

I did venture out yesterday when it was a balmy –31’c to get some pictures of my Mirror Mirror quilt.    This is the same quilt pattern that I quilted for our  guild a few weeks ago shown here.  This is another great pattern for using up fat quarter bundles that seen to accumulate in your sewing room. I used an Island Batik bundle called Hydrangea.  The panto is Taro, light blue So Fine thread and Dream Blend batting.

mirror2mirror6mirror3

I had a great blue backing in my stash that worked well for this quilt and I am now stitching the binding on as I sit by my wood stove to keep warm!

mirror4mirror5

10 comments:

  1. people here would freeze in that kind of weather - most layer and a lot of people do not even bother to buy winter jackets as you only need them normally for about 6 to 8 weeks for the winter - and even then I am talking 30 to 45 degree weather - above NOT below :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in this quilt as well. Beautiful!! I live near Kingston Ont. We are getting freezing rain here. Planning on staying in for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I don't know how you do it being in such cold weather. Thanks for being brave enough to take those pictures. Love the batiks in that quilt. I have tons of fat quarter bundles; may need to think about using this pattern! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrrr - beautiful quilt again, it is as "fresh" as the weather you have at the moment. Here in southern Finland we are still waiting for real white winter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic quilt!!!! Your quilting is stunning...raining here this afternoon; suppose to get a dirty mixture

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt. Love the back. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lived in Thompson Manitoba for 10 years so I know what you are talking about ,I do miss the crunch of the snow .Bundle up and keep warm .Love the quilt .

    ReplyDelete
  8. With temperatures like that I'd never venture outdoors. I'm looking forward to the day that we move a little south and get out of the too-cold-for-me NY. The quilt is just beautiful and it looks refreshing against the white snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is crazy! It was in the low 60s here yesterday. Freakish warm weather. Love your backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking out the windows on those cold -40 days. The blue sky is always so blue against the winter snow. It casts such amazing shadows. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete