Sunday, March 8, 2020

Rope Bowls with Cork.


 I had a little fun yesterday making Rope Bowls.  I purchased a bundle of braided cotton clothesline from the hardware store a few months ago and finally got around give it a go.  I made these years ago but wrapped the rope with strips of batik and that was not only a time consuming method it was hard on my sewing machine!  So this time I tried with just the rope, it was fast and my machine didn't complain!


I had a few pieces of left over cork from wallet and purse projects so they made great accent tabs on the bowls. (It also covers up the end of the cord)



I used one bundle to make the four bowls.  It was 6mm x 30.5m and medium strength line. I set my zig zag stitch to 4.5 wide and 2.5 in length.  I used cotton thread on this project as I first thought I would dye the bowls after they were sewn so that the thread would take the dye as well.  I might still try this,as well as dyeing the rope first then sew into bowls.  So I think I'll be making a few more.



4 comments:

  1. These are so pretty and the cork tabs are genius! I've made them with the wrapped fabric too, you're right...very time consuming. I may try them again, without the wrapped fabric, because these are beautiful! Oh, and they'd make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fresh looking. Even like saying, Spring Has Sprung!! Nice add-on of the cork. But the question that begs to be asked ... how do you get it to "bowl"??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the materials to do this, the books that show how to wrap etc. but my machine is giving me fits with stitch length for just doing straight stitch. May try these, zigzag and see if that is what the machine really wants to do!

    ReplyDelete