Thursday, January 6, 2022

Freezing Bubbles



When the weather turns really cold that's when it is fun to do some cold weather experiments.  One activity our family likes to do is freeze soap bubbles.  Up until this year I have only been able to get pictures of this while the bubble is still on the straw but I was determined to get the bubble in a more picturesque location.  Took about 40 tries but I final got a bubble to let go of the straw without popping!   It was -25'c outside with very little wind.

Here are the videos of the only two bubbles that didn't pop sitting on the snow covered post!



This first video took off on Instagram with over 104,000 views!  Crazy! Funny thing was so many people kept tagging friends in cold climates to get them to try it to see if it was real!  And no one asked for my special bubble formula! You can't use kiddie bubble solution for this experiment.  So I thought I would share that here for my blog followers.


Soap Bubble Recipe

200ml warm water
35ml dish soap ( I used blue Dawn)
35ml corn syrup ( I used the clear corn syrup)
30ml white sugar

Stir until all the sugars are dissolved. 
Place in fridge to cool liquid mixture, once cooled then your ready to head out into the cold to start blowing bubbles. You can use a straw or a bubble wand.  We made a large wand with a 6" diameter circle.  You can see in this next video how the bubble looks when it breaks. Its like tissue paper tearing.



I am back to quilting again...just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I try to take pictures outside!

 

4 comments:

  1. I had a very small wire hoop and I guess home made soap solution when I was a child, guess Dad made the hoop.Love those bubbles, we don't get cold enough here to try, so will admire yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Loved the videos - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly beautiful! Good for you for your persistence in this ccccccold!! Does the bubble stay frozen in time? or how long before it is done and gone?

    ReplyDelete