Friday, December 31, 2021

Looking Back at 2021


At the end of every year I like to look back and review what I made for myself over the year.  Not a lot of quilting of personal projects this year as I spent more time with a camera in my hand. No trips or quilt retreats so I had to find joy in my own backyard, and surrounding area, and the wildlife and birds were a great distraction during this phase of the pandemic.  The hummingbirds provided a lot of entertainment, so did the swans, eagles, herons, loons, turtles, otters, insects, butterflies, deer, foxes, horses and of course the porcupine pictured above.  

I did make a few projects for myself this year so here they are.


The Ruby Waxed Canvas Tote using Kismet fabric.  Pattern is by Fabriculous


I love Moda's Cider collection and made a Quarter Sections using a Fat Quarter Bundle.


I had purchased a Moda Stiletto Jelly Roll and added a light Grunge to make this Washboard Road quilt.  This quilt now has a permanent spot on our couch.


I have been sitting on a Fat Quarter Bundle of Kate & Birdies True North and make a Home Quarter  quilt with it.  Added some red Grunge fat quarters and used it for the border as well.


And the last quilt finished was a Lug Nuts quilt for my friend Wendy.  Seems I was just making our own Highway 10 Design patterns a lot this year. LOL! Didn't get to many quilt shops this year for inspiration so hope to be able to do that again in the new year! 

Now that winter is here I try to find more creative ways to take pictures at night since it is dark by 4:30!  I have been watching videos on Light Painting and had some fun trying it.  I used three mini puck lights, added magnets and attached to a metal bar. Set the lights on multi colours and started swinging the bar around and taking 5 sec exposures. Here are the results.


My attempt at drawing a xmas tree...

...and a heart.

I then put one of the mini lights into a white grocery bag and got this effect.


And I totally planned for that to look like a bird! ;)


This one looks like a created a Portal into another dimension... 


...looks like it did! ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog over the years.  My blog has always been a photographic journal of my longarm business, my quilts and my nature photos.  Its a fun place for me to share and connect with other quilters, thank you for visiting!


Took this photo yesterday of the Sundogs and iridescent cloud when it was -25'c out!
Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. You captured huge amounts of beauty. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thanks is to you, Kathy for sharing your life, business, talents, community, and more. Then the inspiration that we garner (or at least that I do!) from following along on your adventures. Here's to you in the ccccccold from the not-so-cold south of the province! Today, hovering just above zero, but it is going down below the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific photos and gorgeous quilts. I have seen a porcupine with a baby whilst we were on holiday in the Rockies, but I didn't know they could climb! It looks so cute but not cuddly with those quills! And your portal to that new dimension - I wouldn't mind having that here! Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started following your blog for your quilting but now look forward to your nature photos even more. You are very talented and dedicated to perfecting both crafts.

    ReplyDelete