Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hand Dyed Turning Twenty


Here is Robins Hand Dyed quilt using the pattern Turning Twenty. She enjoys dyeing fabrics and snow dyeing like I do and was able to cut into her hand dyed stash to make this quilt. 


We had a few inches of snow fall the other day and today it as -10'c so I had to get the shovel to clear the ice rink. For the last two weeks I kept thinking (hoping) this would be the last time I get to do this but no such luck...it keeps snowing and is still below freezing. I know some of you like the snow pictures but I am ready to see the lake again!


I did free hand Topo quilting design with a very bright multicolored Lava thread.  I did have some trouble with thread breakage on this quilt but I am positive it was the hand dyed fabrics causing this as we both use the same poplin cotton for dyeing and it has a high thread count. I think the Lava is too thick of a thread to use with our hand dyed fabrics.


The backing was dyed too.


You can see the thread color in this picture. You can also see all the little pea size hail frozen in the ice from our thunderstorm on Sunday.


I like this last pictures as I even got my neighbors flag waving just right.  It was really windy and I keep having to chase Robin's quilt to get a picture. Don't worry Robin I got most of the snow off   ;)

13 comments:

  1. Kathy, this is just beautiful! The colors are lucious and so spring!! I never think of using solids and your dyed fabrics are just perfect in this quilt. Love it!
    Karen H

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool quilt. I did that topo quilting for the first time recently and I absolutely love the texture. It looked even better after the quilt was washed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful Kathy, you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting, Kathy!!! I love your freehand design! I love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabrics are so striking with the black borders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a very striking and colourful quilt that Robin has put together. Great job on the topo quilting! G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy...this quilt is gorgeous. I love all the hand dyed fabrics. So vibrant. I love that freehand pattern you quilted. Perfect for that quilt. Is that pattern hard to do? I've seen you do it on others and always love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fun little adventure photographing quilts! I loved the hail-pock-marked ice...nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that quilting and thread, the hand dyes are scrummy too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting is perfect for that quilt! I just love how you do that map quilting....Your really good at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fabrics and quilting, but the black really makes it pop! Great color choices! Thanks for sharing. Belinda

    ReplyDelete