Friday, January 29, 2010

Presidents Quilt

Our guild started a great tradition of making blocks for our out going Presidents....and I'm not just saying this because I'm up to bat next!   The Presidents quilt works this way.  She chooses a simple block pattern,  the guild hands out one of the colors in the block and the members are asked to use a color out of there stash to complete the block. Our president from 2006 to 2008 was Evelyn and this is the quilt she made with the blocks members made for her.  She chose the Nine Patch block for her pattern, red as her color and the guild gave out the white fabric so the background was all the same.  At our last retreat she was busy using her nine patch blocks to make a star block that turned out stunning!  I'm am so glad she asked me to quilt it and I hope she likes what I did.

I had fun with this new border design I found on one of the many quilting forums I frequent.  There are so many talented quilters out there and I am glad I have the ability to copy their designs :)
This one is called Onions and Garlic...but I saw rosebuds when I was quilting it on the red fabric.

7 comments:

  1. Great work! I'm sure she will be very pleased with what you have done!! And the border does look more like rosebuds than garlic and onions!!EM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very striking quilt design... and you did a WOW job of longarm quilting! I like the "rosebuds"!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that is a wonderful quilt and quilting job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evelyn has a wonderful keepsake from her years as president. She certainly left you plenty of space to work your magic. Very striking! What interests me most is your sashing and first border. Hoping to soon attempt something like that myself.By the way I have returned to being a daily visitor since the counter has disappeared! A

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dwirling looks great.... I have only been doing customer quilts since Nov. of 2008, and loved that you journaled about the things you had improved on...and the things you'd like to gain more confidence in. I need to do that. Maybe next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, that quilt is just so striking to look at, isn't it!! And I absolutely love the quilting you did on it, really lovely! Great job on the onions and garlic too. Dwirling, hmmm, I'll have to look into that, I've never heard of it and it's soooo pretty. Always find something new on this blog, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies!!

    Audrey I got rid of the counter just for you :)

    Colleen....I'll be checking your blog to see if you follow through on that :) I like the word journaling as that is what I'm doing and I'm enjoying it much more than I ever thought I would.

    Linda...you should try dwirling. Just quilt a line along the bottom then echo, adding a swirl or bump every so often and keep the echo distance the same. It adds great texture.

    ReplyDelete