Friday, August 24, 2012

Urban Abacus Quilted


I finished my Urban Abacus quilt today!   You can find the pattern here at Jenny's website.  This is the third quilt I have made using her Quick Curve Ruler, I think it is just the best!


  I used all bright batik fabrics and the backing is batik as well.


I used Lava Threads and did multiple thread color changes to match the threads to the fabrics.
I used light blue thread in the bobbin for the whole quilt.


I did a free hand wave on the colorful beads to give the appearance they are spinning. I decided to leave the background unquilted and just SID around the beads.


Just need to add the binding, that will be a good weekend project.


11 comments:

  1. Love the swirl effect...it could also be used in a Chinese lantern quilt...very nicely done! Also, I'm installing Bliss tomorrow...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the swirl effect, and leaving the background unquilted gives a nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - after our up and coming holiday, I hope to get back to and finish my QCR project ;o)
    to many distractions at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swirls, another beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Kathy, your choice of fabrics is wonderful, they look like lollipops!! I especially like the quilting, just the right amount.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an amazing job finishing this quilt! I like the simplicity of the longarm quilting using the free hand swirl and SID. It adds to the beauty of the quilt. G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love, love, love the way you quilted this. It is one of the best I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! The swirly beads are great and so different. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did with this Kathy!! Great idea for the ovals...way faster than straight lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen this, but I love it! Love the quilting on it!

    ReplyDelete